Quick Start Guide to Libby by Overdrive
What do I need to use Libby?
- A library card in good standing from Dover Free Library
- An Internet connection and browser to check out books at Libby
How do I start?
- Get the app. Go to https://www.overdrive.com/apps/libby/ or download directly from the app store or create account online through https://libbyapp.com/welcome which is the login page for Libby.
- Create account.
- It will first ask if you have a library card. Click yes.
- The page will change and ask how you want to find your library.
- Choose that you will search for your library.
- Type in Dover Free Library and click the Vermont Department of Libraries Dover Free Library box that pops up. It will bring you to the home page of the Vermont Department of Libraries Libby page.
- In the top right there is a box asking about a library card under it asks to choose a location. Click that and then select Dover Free from the drop down menu.
- Next it asks for your library card. Type it into the box and click enter. (If you don't remember and can't find your physical card feel free to call during the regular library hours).
- A second box will pop up asking for the pin. The pin is changeme. Type it in and hit enter.
- This will bring you to the Dover Free Library home page where you can browse and check out books and audiobooks.
- Select and check out the titles you want. Book icons showing headphones under the cover picture are e-audiobooks. Click on the book icon you would like to view and/or borrow to see detailed information about the book and its availability. to borrow a book tap borrow and it will bring you to a second confirmation page where you have to click borrow again.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kinds of ebooks does the library have?
Library ebooks and audiobooks include fiction, non-fiction, bestsellers, mysteries, romance, science fiction, children's books, cookbooks, and more.
How do I find and access ebooks?
Through the LIbby app or on the Libby website. There are 5 icons at the bottom of the screen. The magnifying glass all the way on the left let you search for a specific book. The library card icon next to it allows you to browse the collection. The middle icon of a person reading shows you the cards and libraries you have associated with the app as well as provides help and support if needed. The next icon of books shows you your shelf. The last icon, the clock, shows your reading journey.
Which devices can I use with library ebooks?
Libby allows you to read on any device that supports the Libby app including smartphones, tablets, and computers. The Libby app can also be connected to a Kindle device if that is your preference.
To read with kindle
- Tap the books icon
- Tap loans (at the top of the screen).
- Tap Read With...
- Tap Kindle.
- You'll be taken to Amazon's website to finish getting the book.
- If you're signed into your Amazon account, verify the "Deliver to:" device and tap Get Library Book.
- If you're not signed into your Amazon account, tap Get Library Book, and sign in.
You can read most borrowed books with Kindle (available in the U.S. only).